#WOIW Art Journal Page ..BOOK

Hello All :)

I had some time this morning while everyone was in a post Halloween candy coma...so  I spent my free time in the tiny studio creating a page in my art journal. I was inspired by the word of inspiration Wednesday for this week...BOOK. It is a such a help to have a new word to think about each week supplied by Heather at  Kraafters Kommunity !

I LOVE BOOKS! I read a lot. I will admit... I use my tablet to do it. Yes, about 2 years ago I was converted to electronic books. If you were to see my bookshelf overflowing with ACTUAL books you would know why. My tablet contains over 500 books I have read since then...so I would have needed to have a few more bookcases installed  to hold all of those! LOL

I decided to start my page by looking for a quote about books that I like. Then I printed it out and brought it to the studio. Now, for the MOST SCARY thing EVER. A blank page! I have the hardest time starting a page...just staring at that whiteness. So that is why I think about a quote and build my story in my brain around it.
So to quickly get rid of all that frightening whiteness.... I used some watercolor crayons to draw in a park scene. What better place to read then a park on a sunny day
Once I had the picture scribbled in, then I smooshed around (technical term) the colors using a brush and some clean water. I needed to wash out the brush frequently to make sure the colors stayed a little bit separated and not muddy.
Next I drew in a girl reading a nice fat book. I used a watercolor pencil to do the drawing. Then I filled in the figure with some white acrylic paint so that the background colors would be gone and I could start painting in the girl. I like to use watercolor pencil for drawing because it starts to blend and add shadows once the wet acrylic paint touches it. A nice bonus.
To finish the figure, I used acrylic paints and a small brush to add color. Then shadows and highlights. After that I drew in small while lines with a white gel pen....just because I liked the way it looked :) After that I used some gel medium to paste on the quote. To darken up the edges of the page, I used a cellulose sponge with dark green ink.
To finish off the whole project I wanted to add some stamping (of course) So I got out some stamp sets that had just words. BUT...one of the sets WAS NOT MOUNTED (shocking) This is the boon of my stamping life. I do have clear mounts...but these words are so tiny..so I had to take a break from art to cut and mount these babies.
But I think in the end it was worth it. I like how the words are clustered around the girl as if they are flowing from her imagination as she reads.
I hope you enjoyed this art journal page project :) Thanks for stopping by PaperOcotilloStudio.
     <3 Shel






Comments

  1. Wonderful, Shel! Your sketch is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you showed your process here. And the words and letters flowing forth is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia, I hope it inspires someone to try it out :)

      Delete
  3. I like this journal entry! You did great with the figure of the woman and I love how the amount of detail in each layer helps to give the page depth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I am having fun with my art journal now that I gave myself permission to start.

      Delete
  4. I love the words you chose for this challenge, and your steps of creating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy. I like to look for a quote to give me somewhere to start the pictures and story in my head.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)