Iris Flower Altered Tag

Hello Friends :)

I was having so much fun making my tag for Tag It Tuesday over at Cards and More by Sheri that I ended up making two. I can't pick between them so I decided to share one today and the other for the linky party next Tuesday. I encourage you all to play along! All you have to do is make a altered tag and then post it on the Internet so you can link it to Sheri's page next week :) The theme for this month is 'Flowers' so anyone can figure out something to do with that! So, on to my first flowery tag. Be sure to come back next Tuesday, May 19 2015 to see my other flowery tag :)


For this tag I started with a piece of manila stock cut to 3" X 7". Of course most would just use a #10 shipping tag since you can get a box of 100 for around $7.00... but I have a stack of old manila folders so I just cut those up :) I cut the corners and punch a hold to make it a 'tag'.  I sketched a iris flower on the tag using a graphite pencil..


Next, I painted the negative space with a yellow watercolor from my set of Japanese watercolors. I am loving these and using them a lot. They have an almost acrylic finish feeling..but are still a watercolor. Very thick and intense color! They were a gift from my best friend :) If you are curious about them...here they are on Amazon where she purchased them. HERE (no affiliation to any product)


Next I wanted to create a resist using some 3D Gloss Gel,  so I applied it using a circles stencil from Mr Huey. Once it is dry it will be completely clear and should show the yellow through. So..I sat it aside and...waited. (Ok, I started the other tag you will see next Tuesday :)


Next I wanted to try out my resist using some Dylusions ink sprays. I used sunshine, tangerine, funky fuchsia and dirty martini. I let it drip around a bit and even added a spritz of water. (It did not really resist as I had expected.. but the effect was still cool. Maybe it was not completely dry..I will have to try it again)


To soak up the excess ink, I placed another tag over it..then rolled over it with some paper towel. Then I heated it dry and went over it with some clear gesso and a brayer to seal in the layer. I am telling you..clear gesso is my new favoritest thing ever!


Now to make the flower stand out from my color splased background. I decided to use acrylic paint for this with a small brush. A combo of bright green, dark green, and white for the leaves and stems.

\
And dark purple mixed with white and black for hightlights and shadows, and a little yellow.


Once all the paint was dry, I went around the edges using a White Posca paint pen.


I had added a couple stripes of some gold dotted washi tape I was recycling from a swap...and I decided maybe more gold dots were needed. So I got out some Pebeo metallic gold paint and put it on some of the raised dots where the 3D gloss gel had dried. Then, I used a brush with water and the rest of the gold paint to make splatters of gold over the tag.


To finish up..I needed a word or sentiment so I chose 'BLOOM" which I stamped and embossed with gold powder on a piece of dark purple cardstock. I attached it using a tiny attacher staple.


Finally, I layered the whole tag onto some dark purple cardstock trimmed to fit. I created a smaller accent tag using some of the blotted off card and more purple cardstock. Then I strung on some ribbons and metallic cord.


I hope you enjoyed my tag :) Comments are very appreciated!
<3 Shel


Comments

  1. Simply, simply GORGEOUS Shel! I absolutely love this tag! You are such a lovely artist! Love it! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, Shel, and I'm sorry they don't grow in the desert for you. They're a gorgeous flower, and coming into bloom right now here. I'll send you iris thoughts! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win :) Yes please think of me as you stroll through the garden of iris.

      Delete
    2. Purple ones, gold ones, bronze and rainbow coming your way. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Very good, Shel! Love your colors...amazed how many layers it takes to do a good mixed media project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. That is exactly what I love about mixed media...the layers and textures...just make me happy :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Iris and brilliant color combination… that purple just about jumps off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do miss irises!! One of my fave Spring Flowers. So, seeing this just conjured up mental visuals of the beautiful beds I had when living in Michigan - thanks for the memories, Shel, your artwork always makes my eyes happy. Thanks for sharing this beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia :) My mexican birds of paradise are starting to look beautiful now...but I do miss the irises of my childhood in Oregon.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely stunning Iris! Looks like the ones in my backyard! ")

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)