My Mixed Media Holiday Cards

Hello Friends :)

I usually make my holiday cards every year. I didn't say always...because I have skipped a year here and there. But I do try :) I have a long history of rubber stamping...So I have used that as my method of card making for years upon years. I think it is a perfect way to make cards...but it isn't the only way. This year I decided to let my cards reflect my love of mixed media. Lots of textures and layers and crazy in your face color. However, I did not want to do this one by one... painstakingly creating masterpieces that will probably go right into the bin after Christmas. I came up with an idea to do my cards semi assembly line style (except I just can't make the same thing over and over after years of mass card making for convention swaps). I decided to use Gelli printing as my base layers by creating a mixed media masterboard. Then that lovely piece could be cut up and be the base element on my cards. It worked just lovely :) My first one netted me 19 cards and 8 package tags. I will be making another board with the left over prints. I already had 10 cards created with scraps from a art journal layout..so I am up to a cool 29 already! This was a fun and easy project and a quick way to make cards that represent my style :)

If you want to see how I did this...you can watch my Part 1 and Part 2 videos on my Youtube channel..

Part 1 - The Gelli printing


Part 2 -  The mixed media masterboard and card assembly



And here are the card designs I completed so far :) Maybe you will get one in the mail.






I hope you like my card idea and will be inspired. If you are..leave me a comment!
< Shel





Comments

  1. Shel, your cards are absolutely fabulous - such an inspiration! I'm heading to the studio now to do some Gelli printing and start my collection! Many thanks for your post and videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you +Win Dinn :) I am glad I inspired you to get out the gelli plate and have some fun!

      Delete
  2. Great idea, Shel. I love the way it makes each card individual, but also part of a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy :) Yes they all seem coordinated when viewed as a group but I don't get bored doing the same thing over and over.

      Delete
  3. Awesome, Shel!!!! The colors are so dreamy and cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty :) I knew you would like the purple ones :)

      Delete
  4. your cards and tags turned out great. love your gelli paper and that you used it for your cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty!!! Going to watch your videos tonight after work - thanks for sharing! (your natural elements tags went out today - expected to drive to you Monday. *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards Shel, just might have to get my gelli plate out again soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela :) I hope you do get your gelli printing on :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely cards, Shel! I don't blame you for not wanting to do the red and green thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa. Yes I keep hearing red and green makes brown..LOL

      Delete
  8. You are so clever dear Shel! And I feel your pain about the handmade cards going into the bin- argh!!
    These are beautiful and I love the way you created them! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie :) Yes..a handmade item should never get binned!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)